picture

picture
LOVE

Saturday, April 14, 2012

So....

I realize that I haven't been updating the blog as much as I would like to, and over the last couple of days I've been trying to convince myself that I had something to say. However, here I am again and have completely forgotten what it was exactly that I have been wanting to say. Maybe it will come out here somewhere along the way!

I am typing this on my new laptop, which is totally HUGE! The screen (which the box doesn't actually mention) is about 18inches or so. Now, before those who know me go getting all "girl you crazy!" on me, let me start by saying that I have been looking to replace my poor little netbook as of late, since one hinge was busted and it seemed to move slower than molasses in January on the ice fields of Antarctica. However, I decided that I would give it another go at trying to fix it so I could get some more use out of it before I totally gave up and went out and got an iPad (which was JJ's idea after watching me research other tablets). So I took it to the computer repair shop here at our BX to see what they could do. I opened it up and he looked at it and said that in order for him to fix the hinge I was going to have to order the part and then bring the part and the computer back in to him, that he couldn't order the part. Now, I already know that I am going to have to try to get this part from HP already because Amazon doesn't have any (already looked), and without the part number, I couldn't really look on any other sites go price, so I'm already thinking that once again fixing it is going to cost more than just replacing it. As I ask him if he had any suggestions for speeding it up, I turned it on, and wouldn't you know that it started right up! So he showed me how to look up the CPU consumption and it was running at like 1%, so he couldn't see why it was so slow. Of course, it isn't running slow as we are looking at it. At this point, he takes a closer look at the pesky hinge and decides that it isn't actually broken, it is just missing 2 out of 3 screws. We decide to turn it off so he can try to rearrange the parts of the hinge to see if that is actually the problem when the computer decides to take 5+ minutes to shut down, which he attributed to the anti-virus software trying to connect to the internet via the (very) spotty wi-fi in the building. After everything was said and done, he told me that he would take a look at it and let me know. If he wasn't able to fix it, I wouldn't pay anything. Well, I got a call a few hours later saying that it was fixed! I paid him the $60 when I picked it up (as opposed to the $300+ I was quoted by BestBuy, which is where I bought it). And then a couple hours later we were in the right place at the right time and got this laptop for $200 off!

Anyway, enough about my new toy. I've been on pinterest a bit lately (not as much as when I first joined, but...) and found a really great idea, however, I'm having a little trouble finding all the materials I need here. One bad thing about being overseas--I can't always find what I'm looking for, and despite having a few ideas about alternatives, I can't find those, either! I guess it will just take a bit longer to get this project done.....and I was hoping to have it done in time for babysitting on Monday...oh, well, I guess its just a few more things for my list of things to get from the States.

On that note, I'm slowly building just such a list, so I've been looking at quite a few projects--let's just say that I will be rather busy towards the end of the summer as my supplies start coming in! Although, having to wait on supplies makes me stop and think more about planning ahead to what kinds of things I want to do. If it involves fabric, I'm pretty much set, but thread and replacement needles and the notions to go with the project have to go on the "to order" list. And then once I place an order, it will take 2 weeks+ to get here, so yes, lots of planning ahead is involved. Not that I don't mind planning ahead, in fact I live by it. By the end of the first week of a month, my babysitting services, doctor appointments, etc are booked as far out as 6 weeks sometimes! But I still have to leave time open for substituting over the next couple months. Coming here, I certainly didn't think I'd be this busy! But I enjoy staying busy, even if it means having to put some things on hold for a day or two until things calm down. Besides, it gives me time to wait on supplies to arrive.

Speaking waiting for things to arrive, we sold our car that we had in storage last week (yay!!) but we are now waiting for the title to come in the mail to sign and send back to the States to the buyer. We had hoped to get in touch with the lienholder in time to have them send it to our appointed signee, but we missed it by about a day. Oh well, such is life, I guess! But with that car sold we were able to get a second car here so we don't have to get crazy with the planning of our separate schedules to get the car to whichever of us needs it. We are also really looking forward to visiting family next summer (well, I think I'm the most excited), so are trying to do things that we can recommend to visitors and newcomers that we meet.

Much of this made easier by still not having children, which still makes us sad and is particularly painful for me, but our time will come. Having Endometriosis makes things hard on me physically to go along with the emotional pain of not being pregnant for yet another month. I am figuring out little things to help make it easier, and babysitting regularly helps a lot, but it would still be nice to have my own children. However, the good news is that the testing for me is pretty much over and done with. There isn't anything else they can look for, we just have to hope and pray that the scar tissue they took out in 2010 doesn't come back and require another surgery or that recurring scarring doesn't block my only remaining functional Fallopian tube. I could get on my soapbox about the inequalities of medial insurance coverage for women's infertility, but I will save that for another time.

Until next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment