picture

picture
LOVE

Sunday, September 2, 2012

More busy, busy, busy.....

So let me start off with the changes in the last couple weeks....you already know that we lost Sweet Pea at the end of July, and we have her ashes on our bookcase (don't judge!).  Last week we "replaced" her with a Shiba Inu, which is basically a smaller, Japanese version of a Huskie.  The difference is that they are bred and trained to be quiet and mellow, so there has not been added barking, in fact, he's so much like a ninja that we usually have no idea where he is! His name is Baxendale, but we call him Bax, and he's still working on trying to figure out the dog door.  We had a typhoon a few days before we brought Bax home, and we had 4 dogs in our little apartment--Ceaser, our Doxie; Oreo, a Border Collie we were watching for a guy JJ works with (who was gone twice as long as he was supposed to be); and Maya and Cairo, 2 Basinjis that belong to the family I babysit (they are coming home tonight!!!!).  The Basinjis stay off-base at their house because the are outdoor dogs and have a backyard to run around in there, but I had to bring them here so that they could be fed and safe during the typhoon, since I would not be able to drive to their house nightly to feed them. 

This last Sunday, I was released as the nursery leader at church and called to be a general Primary worker, and I am now teaching Sunbeams (we have 2 classes, so I get half the kids I lost out of nursery last year), and I was finally officially called to be a Cub Scout assistant den leader, with JJ, and we work with the Bears.  Now that school is back in session (after a 1-day delay due to the tyhpoon), we are back to having Cub Scouts on Wed nights so we can make it to the meetings and activities.  Before, they were meeting every other week during the summer, and most of those times were activities on Saturdays, and they all fell on the weekends that JJ had to work, so we weren't making it to anything!!  We start soccer practice tomorrow evening, and do that 2 evenings a week, with games starting at the end of next week on Friday and Saturday--at least the season only goes 11 weeks!  JJ is hopefully going to be heading to ALS (Airman Leadership School) mid-month so he can be ready to roll into SSgt when his number comes up (if it happens while he's at ALS, he has to wait until he finishes to "sew on" and then we will get backpaid to his official date), he's taking an Anthropology class online for school, and he has to squeeze in Sponsor training in preparation to sponsor an Airman coming to their squadron right before Thanksgiving. 

I have just volunteered/been asked to be a Key Spouse for the squadron, and I do that training the 3 Wednesdays leading up to Thanksgiving, I'm still a substitute teacher (but haven't been called yet), and I babysit.  I have my "regulars" but I've also added another family to my list that I'm watching every Friday until the dad deploys at the beginning of October.  The family I spend most of my time with (who get back from leave today) are looking to keep me at 3 days a week minimum, 4 hours a day starting at 4pm....that means I'll be dragging some kids along with me to soccer practice and some other meetings/activities I have on my schedule that allow for that contingency. 

We sat down last night and filled out a wall calendar with what we had scheduled already for the month of Septemeber, and it was pretty full.  About the only days that were completely empty were Sundays, and that's not much down time.  Of course, the other days weren't completely full, either, but they make things look like we aren't getting any sleep around here!  Fridays I'm not getting home till after midnight, only to be up the next morning to see JJ off to play soccer (or earlier for work) and then I get started on things that I need to do, like lessons for church, or preparing things for a bake sale (like we had this last weekend), or doing cleaning/organizing that was neglected during the busy week.

To top it all off, I woke up for church yesterday with an irritated eye.  Now, normally this wouldn't be a huge deal, but the Air Force Ball is in a couple weeks, and I really don't want to have to wear my glasses to it with my pretty dress.  So I'm hoping that my eye isn't anything serious, but as it is Labor Day, I can't get into an appointment at the clinic until tomorrow, so glasses it is.  I was stupid and put my contacts in for church yesterday, but by the time we had been there about an hour (and we had to be there early), my eye felt like it was on fire and it was rather red and bloodshot.....and weeping all kinds of crazy stuff.  So I came home and took my contacts out to put in some eye drops, only to find that my left contact was covered in "snot" that didn't look so good.  The better news is that my whole eye isn't quite so red this morning, just under my lower eye lid, and I can't see anything in it this time (as opposed to the open ulcer I had there earlier this year right beneath my iris that made it look like my eye color was changing from blue to tan....), so I should think that it will resolve fairly quickly...but right now it just constantly feels like I have goopy medicine in it and its kinda sticky.  I had just thought that it was because I had forgotten to take my allergy meds on Saturday and had done a bit of cleaning all day.  Guess not!  Oh, well.  I will see what the heck is going on tomorrow, provided I can get an appt, but I'm going through Optometry instead of Family Practice, and they aren't quite so busy when it comes to acute problems, especially when I mention the ulcer from February!

Overall, things are going well for us here.  School has started back, everyone is back from vacations, so the bank accounts will start feeling a little less lonely, just in time for birthday/Christmas/Anniversary shopping!!  But, that's life!  Now to figure out how to get those 2 futon mattresses out of the car and upstairs by myself, and how exactly to clean them once they get in here......

No comments:

Post a Comment