picture

picture
LOVE

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sorry....

So I realize that it has been about 2 months since my last post...sorry! Here goes!!
Not much has changed with us, other than JJ's work schedule...he is now working nights, but still the odd 3/2 Panama schedule where he works only a few days a week, and those alternate every other week. Its nice because he'll be off in the middle of the week, so one would think that we would get out and do more things, but with him working 12 hour shifts when he does work, he still sleeps during the day, making it a non-issue of going out and doing things, but we've gotten a lot of good info on places to go and things to see and do, so we are trying harder to make plans and get out see! Meanwhile, I have found myself flipping to his schedule with him, which can make things difficult when I'm up until 2 or 3 am and have to substitute the next morning and then nanny in the afternoon. It's enough to almost make me glad that I've been an insomniac my whole life--I've learned how to deal with little sleep, although some days I do it better than others. If I don't have anywhere to be before noon, though, I will sleep with him until I absolutely have to get up because the dogs really need to go out or I realize that I haven't eaten anything in over 12 hours and my body is screaming for nourishment (of course, those are the days that I get up and realize that we're out of milk, or have just enough for my cereal, but not JJ's....).
We are both still in Primary with the children at church, and between that, substituting the youngest children at school, and being nanny-esque to 3 children, I am getting quite a bit of experience. And did I mention, that as of this week we are also coaching flag football--the 5/6 year old division? We just can't seem to get enough time with kids...of course, one day we will wish for the days when it was just us, but until then, we will take our fill however we can get it.
I've rather active in our squadron spouse's group, and let me tell you, have we been busy little beavers! Last week, on the 1st of Dec, we had our spouse's holiday social in which we did a little white elephant exchange. I made a snowman decoration, I had to make it from scratch with no pattern, but it turned out better than I thought it would, so that's good. The next day, we spent the whole day decorating for the children's Breakfast with Santa occuring the following day (Dec 3rd), and we got there early to do the last minute stuff that morning. Let's just say that last week was rather busy. Then to have this week not so crazy, I'm pretty glad we're taking leave Dec 15-Jan 5. Of course, JJ really doesn't have much of a choice....he has reached the point of accumulating so much leave that they aren trying not to force him to take leave. If he didn't have 2 months saved up, he probably would've just tried to take about a week. He really isn't one to take large chunks of leave at a time, but right now he has to. Not that I'm complaining...yet....
We had a small group of about 7 over for Thanksgiving at our apartment and then that evening, since JJ had to work, there was a potluck Thanksgiving meal for his shift at the shop. There were about 20 people there. I enjoy getting together with the guys on shift and the squadron in general because it feels a lot like family, not like the last squadron where I didn't know a single person, and there were rarely any social gatherings to get acquainted.
I should finally be getting my first substitute pay within the next week (hopefully). I should've already received it, but apparently there was a hitch with my paperwork (surprise!) that actually had me "black-listed" for about a week until they could figure out what the issue was. But, found out today that the matter has been cleared up, so I can now get paid and I'm back on the list!
Yesterday morning, the base turned the A/C off in about a quarter of the housing on base, as those units are on a central system and the temp had finally been below 75 degrees for a straight week. Imagine the discomfort when the high reached about 80 12 hours later! Now, we just wait for the temp to be below 65 for a straight week and then they will turn the heat on. The system that its on take a full week to start-up and shut-down, so they can't really flip it back and forth quickly, but it saves about $750,000 a year in energy costs this way. I'm not really that upset about it so much since I am from Arkansas, so temps in the range of 65-75 are pretty good for me! While my friends and family back home are mostly dealing with freezing rain and snow, I'm out on the beach a few days a week with the boys I nanny. But I do miss the cute fall clothes sometimes, but if today is any indication, I will be seeing those clothes soon! The wind today put such a chill in the air, that it was almost like I was back home. Of course, that didn't come out until after sunset, so it wasn't too bad. The only problem is that all my clothes for fall weather are still packed in a Space Bag, and I have nowhere to put them for the 3 months I will be wearing them......
Anyway, I'm looking forward to a different Christmas experience this year, and almost dreading it at the same time. This will be the first year I can ever remember not being with any member of my family, and the first one in several where I haven't spent at least some part of it with much of my extended family. But life's all about the adventures, right? May you all have a Merry Christmas and wonderful outlook for the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment