picture

picture
LOVE

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Not much....

So I realize that it's been some time since I last posted, but nothing really has been happening around here. We've been narrowly missed by 2 typhoons that went on to wreak havoc, death, and destruction elsewhere. Our dogs are out of quarantine!!! (They're end date was week before last, but the Vet clinic was closed last week, so it won't be official-official until I can get them in towards the end of this week.) I got a job! I work as a babysitter/nanny for someone whose wife just deployed. I get the 3 kids off the bus and get them a snack, dinner, light laundry, play with them, supervise them playing, and help split the load when one or more have to go to another activity. I do this Mon-Fri 4pm to 8pm. And this will go on until she gets home in the spring. It isn't full-time, but it also allows me to substitute at a few of the schools here on base since they get out in time for me to head off base to get the kids. And its more than I was making before (which was nothing....) JJ's younger brother, the middle one, has moved back to their mom's house in TN, and wants to try to get us all together for Christmas. Meanwhile, my grandmother is doing better, one of her doctors has decided she is doing wonderfully, so I don't feel quite so pressured to get back to see her. So we are trying to get the money together to get home for Christmas. We have a plan of the route to take, Space A could be a problem fitting into the time frame we have, but we have our dates and have figured out how to try to fit everyone in that we can.
We have repeatedly had a problem with a leak in the ceiling above one of the cabinets in our kitchen. Of course, when the workmen get here, it stops leaking and they can't find anything. Last week housing maintenance decided that is was likely a leak in the safety sprinklers that are part of the fire system in the building. However, when they called the Fire Department to try to get them out here to look at it, the housing guys had left, and the firefighters had to still call the Civil Engineers. By the time all that happened, the duty day was over and my problem still hadn't been fixed. As I type this, the 3rd work crew from housing maintenance are leaving and we have a solution!!! They found where it was leaking, and from the pictures, it looks like it was a water pipe that possibly feeds the sprinklers (I think, they are locals, so sometimes there is a bit of a language barrier....). I now have to empty that cabinet and clear the counter so they can come back on Wed and start cutting into the ceiling to tighten the clamps on the connection the pipe is leaking from, and then they have to fix the hole they will cut....I'm looking at about another week of guys in and out of my kitchen--but they won't have to replace the cabinet and the ceiling won't fall in, and the problem will be fixed!!!
We were also able to find the package we've been waiting on--our Roomba vacuum....it got sent back as undeliverable, but now the information is fixed and it is on the way!!! Until then, we have borrowed a friend's Dyson to get the house cleaned up a bit so the little Roomba won't get overwhelmed its first day on the job. I'm getting curtains put up in our bedroom hopefully today since JJ goes back to working nights in a couple weeks. The vertical blinds are great at night, but during the day light still gets through....especially with still full luggage and a basket of neatly folded clean clothes shoved up against the windo separating the "blades" of the blinds.
The weather is almost cooling off around here. We still only have about 10 degrees of temp difference between day and night, but the breezes off the ocean are cooling off a little. We're still looking at daytime temps in the 80s or so--last week we got into the upper 90s. I actually kinda like being able to comfortably go to the beach during a time of year when the leaves are changing color back in the states. Not that I go as often as I would probably like, but that's a different issue altogether.
I guess more has happened than I thought! But for now, I've got to get up and get things done around the house since I have less time to work on it anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment