So JJ has gotten an app for the iPhone that is suppose to help with translating english and japanese back and forth. The idea is that you say something into the phone and it spits out the translation in the language you desire. Well, since being here on-island, we've picked up some handy phrases such as "arigato gosiamaz" that should translate into "thank you very much". Well, when I say it into the translating app, its anybody's guess what comes out. I got translations ranging from "Yes, a VISA goose image" to "my arm", neither of which sound remotely the same or like what I was attempting to say. I even got things like "overseas", and "mena and women in the bar", among other things.....Oh, well, I guess my speech centers are not ready to embark on enunciating different languages.....
I even had a parent at T-ball practice the other day ask where my twang came from....at least he knew what to call the accent and that it was regional....I told him Arkansas, and he said "well, I'm from Louisiana". I told him that I have no problem understanding and conversing with anyone from south of the Mason-Dixon line, and he said that anyone living north of I-10 was a yankee--which means pretty much anyone not from New Orleans....
Oh, yes, T-ball! we are coaching a team of 11 5&6 year-olds. We had a team lined up before the ink dried on our coach/volunteer applications....they had been looking for a coach for this team, bless their hearts. JJ is the head coach, with myself and another parent as the assistant coaches. Which is good since I'm the only one able to make all the practices since both of them are active duty and have different schedules for work and TDY....the other assistant coach's wife is the team mom and she is a huge help!! We also have a great group of parents that step in if we need some help, well, mostly me since I've only ever watched baseball/t-ball up to this point. I understand the fundamentals, but even I can't seem to get much of it right.....let's just say its a learnin experience all around. But, we did get our uniforms in the other day, and half of them are having names put on the back, with the other half being brought in on Thursday.....We are currently having twice a week practice for about another week or so, and then once a week when the games start up.
The weather hasn't been too bad lately, considering it is the middle of typhoon season, which lasts May through September here. We had what many thought would be a mini-typhoon last weekend, but it didn't really amount to much for us other than a good deal of wind and rain--but the rain HURT!! We've had some drizzling the last couple of evenings, but nothing really to write home about.
Our furniture will be delivered July 8, so we're kinda jazzed about that...I'll be able to fully use my kitchen to cook again!!! I've been struggling with the bare minimum needed for 2 people, and no microwave. We went out and had Japanese Timpayaki tonight for dinner here on base, and it was delicious. Its basically Hibachi grill style. We were the last ones there and got to watch them clean up since we came in about 15 minutes before closing. All in all, it was a neat experience.
I've gotten much better at driving, and JJ has had me drive off-base a few times, I even drove to church on Sunday. I drove everywhere today, and now I'm off to help give the dogs a bath in our deep bathtub.....I know there will be much laughing to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment